Friday, August 26, 2016

Gluten-Free Cupcakes, CookBook

50 Irresistible Recipes Made with Almond and Coconut Flour
By - Elana Amsterdam


I don't normally 'read' cookbooks.  I have a tendency to pinpoint what I'm looking for, just to grasp the general idea of the recipe.  My Mom always called me the 'experimentor' because I seldom follow any recipe to the letter.  But this was the second CookBook that I've received with a request to review.  So read it I did :-)

I'm glad that I did...I was pretty impressed with what I read.  First of all...there were pictures.  I like pictures, they give me a goal to strive for.  Pictures tell me right up front if this is something I might like to eat.  Secondly, I liked all the pre-cookbook information...CupCakes 101 - Equipment, Tips & Ingredients.  There was a lot of great information there written in simple, easy to understand language.  Considering that Almond and Coconut Flours are so new it's very important to read Elana's suggestions and tips on handling them.

Thankfully, I received two copies of this little book because as soon as my friend saw it she snatched it up and took it home with promises to try each and every recipe in the book.  Not only is she trying all the recipes, but she's keeping notes and bringing samples!!  I just love the samples!!  Right away we were both impressed with the fact that while these are all still delicious, even decadant treats...they're still healthier than most we've had in the past.  Both flours have more fiber and/or protein than the standard white-rice based flour. Fiber is crucial to healthy digestion and cholesterol levels.  Adding them to baked goods lowers their glycemic level for blood sugar maintenance.  Both are grain- and gluten-free and both flours are lower in calories per 1/4 cup.

My friend prefers her Cupcakes without frosting.  She feels you can appreciate the taste of the cake much better that way.  So far I've gotten to test the Pumpkin CupCakes...they were very tasty.  A bit heavier than I'm used to but tasted wonderful just the same.  She made the Scallion Goat Cheese Muffins and gave them to me just in time for a four hour road trip across state.  Boy those little babies were life savers!!  And just recently she brought over the Chocolate Peanut Butter CupCakes and laughingly told me she'd be making those much more often since they were her favorites so far.  I have to agree that for a sweet treat they were just wonderful!!  She's having a grand time going through the entire book and I'm certainly looking forward to more 'left-overs'.

Features:
•50 gluten free recipes for cupcakes and savory treats
•14 recipes for frostings, fillings and toppings
•25 cupcake recipes that use coconut flour
•9 cupcake recipes that use almond flour
•4 flourless cupcake recipes
•12 cupcake recipes that use both almond flour and coconut flour
•41 dairy free cupcake recipes
•8 dairy free frostings, fillings and toppings
•5 vegan frostings, fillings and toppings
•38 nut free recipes
•10 cupcake recipes that use arrowroot powder

Carolanne Le Blanc
FaceBook:  http://www.facebook.com/glutenfree.inflorida
Meeting:  4th Saturday of every month except December
Imperial Palms, East Clubhouse, 101 Imperial Palm Drive, Largo, Florida 33771

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers