Friday, March 18, 2016

Barbara's Excellent Banana Bread (Gluten-Free)

This is the ultimate Banana Bread recipe donated by a friend named Barbara in Florida.  This has got to be the most excellent recipe I have ever received.  I've used this so many times, with so many variations...and every time it comes out just incredible.  I've used a variety of Gluten-Free flours...store bought, recipe mixes, whatever's left in the pantry...you name it.  I prefer muffins...but it works as a loaf too. 

Barbara's Excellent Banana Bread

½ cup solid shortening (I prefer butter, room temp) 
2 Bananas, very ripe (big, small it doesn't seem to matter)
2 Eggs, Large
1¼ cup flour
1 cup sugar
½ tsp salt (I seldom add the salt)
1 tsp soda

Blend bananas and shortening until smooth, add eggs one at a time, cream together.  Add sugar, salt, and soda, mix well.  Gradually add flour, mix on high for 5-10 minutes, until batter fluffs up a bit.  Pour into greased loaf pan and bake...350 for 1 hour.  Or 12 muffin cups...350 for 30-35 minutes.  Don't be afraid to fill the muffin cups full.

One little tip I've learned from another friend...Chef Vickie...is to fill the muffin tins with papers and then spray the papers with a bit of oil.  Makes getting the muffins out so much easier and doesn't tear the muffin.

I've also learned that Gluten-Free flours need to be beaten.  Unlike regular wheat flours...GF flours need the extra time to absorb the moisture and settle in a bit.

One of my experiments was to replace the butter with applesauce.  It worked pretty well...I added a touch more flour to achieve the same texture...and added the salt that time.  I've also started making these only to find that I'd run out of flour...I only had one cup...but I had some Irish Instant Oatmeal so I used that to make the final 1/4 cup.  They came out pretty good...but the final texture was a bit more gummy than I could appreciate.  I've also tried these with a bit of spice, some nuts and dried cranberries...MMMmmm!!  So give it a try...and let me know how you make out.  Follow the recipe the first time...but go ahead and play a bit the next time.

Carolanne Le Blanc
Email: GlutenFreeInFlorida @ Yahoo.com
FaceBook:  http://www.facebook.com/glutenfree.inflorida
Meeting:  4th Saturday of every month except December
Imperial Palms, East Clubhouse, 101 Imperial Palm Drive, Largo, Florida 33771

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers