Friday, February 26, 2016

Favorite Desserts, made Gluten Free (Cookbook)

"Taste as good as the real thing"


Amelia E Pohl


Ok…so I got this little Gluten-Free Cookbook the other day.  I have to confess, that I’m not really a cookbook person.  Don’t get me wrong…I love to cook!!  And baking is my favorite pastime.  But my recipe searches are just hit or miss online for whatever I’m in the mood for.  And believe me; Gluten-Free baking can have quite a few misses!!

When I saw the cover of this little cookbook…I was hooked…Hostess Cupcakes, Moon Pies, Twinkies…Oh my!!  So I sat down to look it over.  I actually like the way this book was put together.  The writer has a conversation with the reader…I can appreciate that. I also like the way each chapter begins with basic instructions…like how to make pies…then goes on to give the ingredients in each recipe without the tedious repetition of the obvious.  And if you tend to have some-timers…like I do…each ingredient has a check-box so that you can keep track of what you’ve already done.  That's great.  I once made a whole batch of cookies and forgot the sugar!!  Each chapter also begins with a single page of pictures for the following recipes.  I guess I’m a visual person…because I’ve looked at cookbooks without pictures and I won’t even try the recipes.  This book has a picture for each recipe.  Kinda gives the reader an idea of what to aim for.

Just a quick note...I have personal issues with xanthan gum and it's used in nearly every recipe.  So I'll just use Guar Gum, Gum Arabic, or Carrageenan instead.

Before I forget, I need to mention my favorite part of this little cookbook...the Ingredient Index!  I don't know about you, but I prefer to use what's in my pantry before running to the store for more supplies.  I love this index.  I can check the pantry first, look up a great recipe to try that includes it, then shop for whatever else is needed.

I've decided I'm going to try the recipe for Gluten-Free Red Velvet Cake first.  I've never tasted a Red Velvet Cake before...so I'm thinking I'll be better able to judge the results on their own merit...without any distant memories of the 'real' thing.  Then I'm going to try the Pineapple Upside Down Cake for my very dear friend...it's her absolute favorite. Hmmmm...what to try next??  It's going to be a tough choice...but I think I can do it!!
This book is the first in a series of three:

Gluten-Free Bread, Breakfast & Family Meals
New Recipes for the Gluten-Free Diet

Carolanne Le Blanc
Email: GlutenFreeInFlorida @ Yahoo.com
FaceBook:  http://www.facebook.com/glutenfree.inflorida
Meeting:  4th Saturday of every month except December
Imperial Palms, East Clubhouse, 101 Imperial Palm Drive, Largo, Florida 33771

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers